The Peruvian Ginseng
Maca powder is a good supplement due to its adaptogenic, hormone-regulating, mood-boosting, energising, gut-healing, and aphrodisiac properties. Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is a root harvested in South America’s high-altitude regions of the Andes Mountains, particularly in Peru and Bolivia. These areas provide the ideal growing conditions for maca, including high elevations, cold temperatures, and well-drained soil. Maca is cultivated in this region for thousands of years and is an important traditional crop for the local communities.
A versatile superfood, Maca powder is suitable for various culinary applications. Easily incorporate into smoothies, yoghurt, baked goods, and more.
Potential Health Benefits:
- Rich in Nutrients: Maca powder is a nutrient-dense food, containing a variety of essential vitamins and minerals. It is particularly high in vitamin C, copper, iron, potassium, and B vitamins, which are crucial for overall health and well-being.
- Adaptogenic Properties: Maca is classified as an adaptogen, a type of herb that helps the body adapt to stress and maintain balance. It may support the body’s response to physical, emotional, and environmental stressors.
- Hormone Regulation: Maca may support hormonal balance by regulating hormones, especially in women, and alleviate symptoms related to hormonal imbalances, such as irregular menstrual cycles, mood swings, and menopausal symptoms.
- Increased Energy: Many people report increased energy and stamina when incorporating maca powder into their diets. Maca is a natural energy booster, a popular choice among athletes and those seeking enhanced vitality.
- Enhanced Mood and Well-Being: Some individuals experience mood improvements and overall well-being when consuming maca. Thus, it positively impacts mood, reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression for some.
- Antioxidant Content: Maca contains antioxidants, which help combat oxidative stress in the body. As antioxidants can protect cells from damage caused by free radicals it can reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Amino Acids: Maca is a source of essential amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Amino acids are necessary for various bodily functions, including muscle repair and immune system support.
- Bone Health: Maca contains calcium and magnesium, which are vital for maintaining strong and healthy bones.
- Digestive Health: Maca’s dietary fiber content can aid in digestion and promote a healthy gut. It may help alleviate constipation and support regular bowel movements.
- Libido and Sexual Health: Maca is associated with improved sexual health and libido with some studies suggesting it may enhance fertility and erectile function.
How to Use:
- Add 1-2 teaspoons to your daily smoothie for an energy boost.
- Mix into oatmeal or yoghurt for a nutritious breakfast.
- Enhance your baking recipes with a dash of maca powder.
- Experiment with savory dishes for a unique flavor profile.
- 10 ways to add Maca powder to your daily diet
It’s important to note that while maca powder offers potential benefits, individual responses may vary. So, consume in moderation as part of a balanced diet. As with any dietary supplement, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating maca powder, especially if you have specific health concerns or conditions.
- Sourced from certified organic farms, promoting sustainable agriculture.
- It is produced with minimal processing to retain its natural goodness.
- Eco-friendly recyclable soft plastic packaging that feeds into NZ’s existing recycle stream.
Packaging and recycling
310g resealable pouch. Dispose of the soft plastic bag in the supermarket collection bin.