A very delicious and fun recipe to create at home… A Middle Eastern-inspired Lasagna di Crespelle! The “pasta” used to separate the layers of this lasagne are actually chickpea flour crepes, adding a more traditional texture to a gluten-free, vegan lasagne. A very healthy alternative to the classic creature comfort that is, lasagne.
” More traditional texture to a gluten-free, vegan lasagne. “
MIDDLE EASTERN LASAGNA DI CRESPELLE
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
SPICED PEANUT CREAMED SPINACH
- 75g spinach or silverbeet, washed
- 2 tsp Cocavo Original
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Cocavo Original
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp tightly packed parsley
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to season
- To make the crepes, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Grease a large saucepan with Cocavo Original and heat over medium-high heat. Cook 1/4-1/3 cup batter at a time, swirling to the edges of the pan. Flip when bubbles form, and continue to cook until cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
- To make the creamed spinach, heat Cocavo in a medium saucepan until melted. Add spinach or silverbeet and a couple tbsp water, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until well wilted.
- To make the tomato sauce, melt Cocavo in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry onion and garlic until fragrant, then add tomato paste, tomatoes and water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced, then add remaining ingredients.
- For the tahini sauce, whisk all ingredients until smooth. Cook in a small saucepan over medium heat until thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a lightly greased pie dish (or two mini) place one crepe followed by the spinach mixture, then cover with another crepe, followed by the tomato sauce. Finally add another crepe and then the tahini sauce.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until lightly browned.