Ceylonese Papaya/ Papaw taste amazing. Simply cut and dried organic papaya strips, from the tropical island of Ceylon. No sweeteners, No preservatives, No added sugar. Just simply dried from raw, and packed into every HEIRLOOM Organic Papaya strips pack.
Uses – Fresh Papaya/ Papaw is typically eaten raw by cutting the fruit in half and scooping out the soft flesh. To share this product in New Zealand where it does not grow, it is dehydrated. Its nutrient content remains intact. To rehydrate, soak/brew in hot water or any fruit juice for 15-20mintues. The rehydrated bits can be used as a chewy cereal topping, in smoothies, and as a filler in baking while the brew can be consumed as a herbal tea. Use a kitchen scissor to chop up the strips further if not rehydrating and:
- Toss rehydrated/ dried papaya strips bits into your favorite smoothie
- Use them in baked goods like muffins and bread
- Blend papaya strips into homemade salad dressing, savory sauces, and dips
- Mix them with nuts and other dried fruit for an energy-packed snack
- Incorporate dried papaya strips with coconut, almond butter, and puréed dates to make healthy energy balls
- Replace refined-sugar dried fruits in cookie recipes
- Add fine papaya strips into salads and cereals
- Finely chopped strips of papaya can also be used as a meat tenderizer
- Can also be used in the second fermentation of homemade Kombucha
Flavour – The papaya strips are naturally sweet and richly aromatic of fresh papaw, more so if rehydrated. This product is harvested in a cottage industry initiative that does not use any chemical refining, additives, or preservatives to standardize the product.
Ingredient – 100% dried papaya/ papaw
Grown in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Packaged in a facility that also processes cashew and coconuts
Keep airtight in the pantry, away from sunlight and damp. Its potency and flavor remain strong as long as it is stored airtight. With a best before of two years from the manufacture date, these papaya strips remain safe to use for even longer periods as long as it is stored with minimal exposure to light, air, and moisture. This is why HEIRLOOM Papaya strips are packed at the origin, in the very region it is harvested from. This seals the freshness and reduces exposure from day one until the pack is opened by you. A slight color change is possible as the product is completely free of sulfites or other nasties that would otherwise keep them brightly colored.
There is nothing else. No refining or coloring. 100% zero-waste, no bi-products. This product is internationally accredited by Control Union; Certified Organic (EU and USDA NOP), ISO and/or HACCP certified.
An excellent source of antioxidants, dietary fibre and loaded with a variety of vitamins and minerals, the papaya has impressive health benefits :
- Rich in healthy antioxidants called carotenoids and lycopene that are easily absorbed by the body compared to carotenoids in other fruits and vegetables
- These antioxidants are beneficial in neutralizing free radicals preventing damage to cells
- The combination of lycopene and vitamin C rich papaya has been tested to show a visible reduction in facial wrinkles and even redness from sunburn
- Some research has proved papaya extract even helps reduce the growth of cancer cells.
- The enzyme papain supports protein digestion and can contribute to easing constipation and bloating.
- Fermented papaya can even reduce oxidative stress in older adults, prediabetics, those with mild hypothyroidism and liver disease
Read more research-based information, here.
Packaging and recycling100g bag-in-box
Dispose of the soft plastic bag in the supermarket collection bin. The card box can be disposed of in your recycling bin. The reason we use a clear bag for dried fruits is so you can see the product in the clear window before you buy it and because the product potency is preserved without exposure to air or moisture. The box protects the product by reducing exposure to light.
Possible precautions: Papaya is considered safe for most people. It is advisable to consult your healthcare provider or registered dietitian to make sure it’s safe to consume it alongside, any prescription medication or for particular therapeutic uses.