Ghee, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Cacao, Hemp Hearts, Manuka Honey – now there a small list of some of the most nutritious foods on the planet. This delicious recipe brings these super-foods together in a nutritionally packed powerhouse of a spread. Check out this easy “no cooking required” recipe.
We’ve been experimenting with this recipe quite a bit recently and think we have it just right, so why not give the recipe a go, your kids will love you for it – in fact, this is super easy for the kids to make!
A simple blender spread made in a blender that is rich in nourishing fats and tastes awesome!
Hemp Seed Chocolate Spread
- Hemp Seed Hearts: Hemp seed hearts are mostly fat and protein. The ratio of omega 3 to 6 essential fatty acids is perfectly balanced for option nutrition. Easily digested, hemp seeds are a superfood for optimal body nourishment.
- Raw Cacao: Having less caffeine than its roasted counterpart cocoa, raw cacao lets us take advantage of the powerful anandamide, a plant chemical that translates as bliss in the brain. Combined with the high antioxidant concentration and magnesium to help relax the smooth muscles of the body, raw cacao is a true super-food in every sense.
- Cocavo Ghee or Cocavo Natural or Light: The medium chain saturated fats found in both Ghee and coconut oil are super brain fuel. Combined with the monounsaturated fatty acids in avocado oil and you have yourself a healthy, fat fuelled power-house super-oil. These fats provide a steady flow of energy to the body and the brain that help us to feel energized and satiated. Using Cocavo Natural or Cocavo Light keeps the recipe vegan if required.
- Raw Honey: Raw Manuka honey is my go-to sweetener of choice as it’s readily available anywhere in Aotearoa. All Kiwis know the health benefits of Manuka honey, so no need to list them here. (Alternative sweeteners are listed in the ingredients)
Watch out, the kids will scoff this in a blink of the eye!
Here’s the recipe:
- 3/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup raw cacao
- 3/4 cup Cocavo Ghee or Cocavo Natural
- 6 tbsp raw NZ Manuka Honey (can substitute with Maple Syrup or Date Syrup)
- ½ tsp of sea salt (or to taste)
1. Process all ingredients together until smooth. Add more sweetener as desired to taste.
2. Transfer to airtight containers and store in a cool, dry place.
3. This spread will keep for several months in the refrigerator.
NOTE: For a very smooth spread, blend for 8 – 10 minutes. For a chunkier spread, blend for less time until desired consistency is achieved.
VEGAN? – swap out the Cocavo Ghee for Cocavo Light or Cocavo Natural & the honey for maple syrup or date syrup.
Dairy-Free if Cocavo Natural or Light is used
Use an artificial sweetener for a KETO option