Sweet and savory bites that are perfect for when you’re on the go
If you are hitting the road this holiday season and need a light meal to keep the family satisfied but the go, there are great quick bites to make ahead.
Registered dietitian Mia Syn, with Nutrition by Mia, shares 2 recipes for healthy road trip snacks and the key to making them at home.
“Pair carbohydrates with protein,” said Syn, a nationally recognized nutrition expert who recommended tips to make these tasty bites fulfilling.
“Build your snacks around energizing carbohydrates like fresh fruit and whole grain oats. Also use around non-perishable protein like nut butter and crunchy chickpeas,” said Syn.
To see Syn’s complete interview, watch the video in the link above.
Apple Pie Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup creamy nut butter (peanut butter or almond butter)
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon spice
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- Combine all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Form batter into balls using our hands.
- Place energy bites on a baking sheet and store in the fridge to harden.
Savory Granola Trail Mix
- 2 tablespoons coconut avocado oil
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 1/2 cup crunchy chickpeas
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss oats, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds and pepitas in a large mixing bowl with coconut avocado oil.
- Transfer mixture to a lined baking sheet and place in an even layer.
- Bake until golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl with crunchy chickpeas and toss together to mix.
Cocavo is made from premium all natural ingredients, providing a sweet and delicious, yet delicate flavor.
It is the perfect cooking oil to enhance a wide variety of dishes from curries to stir-fries. Cocavo is dairy free, gluten free and suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
Cocavo Light is made from pure coconut oil and extra virgin avocado oil. The delicious, buttery yet mild flavor does not have the aroma or taste of coconut making it the perfect cooking oil for everyday use.
Cocavo Light is dairy free, gluten free and suitable for vegans.
Chili and Lime
Cocavo is carefully infused with selected chili and lime oils giving you the perfect blend. Cocavo enhances and brings out the flavors in dishes from seafood to stir-fry. The subtle hint of chili is perfect.
Cocavo Chili and Lime is dairy free, gluten free and suitable for vegans.