What is Matcha Salt?
Matcha salt (抹茶塩) is exactly that – a blend of high quality New Zealand sea salt with high quality, culinary grade Japanese Matcha Green Tea powder. Our Matcha Salt comes in a high quality grinder with an adjustable ceramic grinding mechanism for long life.
There are so many ways to enjoy Cocavo’s Matcha Salt from adding it to eggs to topping off chocolate truffles and brownies, sprinkling some over soups and good dusting over popcorn, and this is just to name a few. The matcha tea adds a beautiful delicate flavor that you just have to try.
This traditional Japanese seasoned salt is most often used for sprinkling over deep-fried vegetables (known as tempura), where it adds a burst of colour and salty flavour. But there are so many more ways to use matcha salt
HOW TO USE MATCHA SALT
Matcha salt is quite versatile and can be used similarly to regular salt. Here are some ideas:
- Rice: The most common way of enjoying it. Either over plain rice like furikake (rice seasoning) or in onigiri.
- Tofu: Sprinkle over cold or hot tofu with some sesame seeds, mentsuyu or soy sauce.
- Scrambled Tofu/Eggs: It can be used in eggs or if vegan, scrambled tofu.
- Vegetables: Sprinkle over roasted, pan fried or steamed vegetables for a boost of flavour.
- Fried Foods: It pairs amazingly with things like tempura, karaage, fries and more.
- Bagels/Toast: Sprinkle over a layer of plain cream cheese, avocado, or butter.
- Snacks: Think popcorn, edamame, chips and finger foods!
- Dessert: Try adding some to vanilla ice cream – you will be pleasantly surprised
- Noodles: Matcha Ramen? Yes please.
Matcha has skyrocketed in popularity, with Matcha shots, lattes, teas, and even desserts appearing everywhere from health stores to coffee shops. Cocavo’s Matcha Salt is a unique gourmet salt that brings the health benefits of NZ Sea Salt & Matcha Green Tea in one simple seasoning.
Like green tea, Matcha comes from the Camellia sinensis plant. However, it’s grown differently and has a unique nutrient profile. For more information on the health benefits of Matcha Tea, visit this link.