NZ Squid are amongst some of the best on the world. Derek the Chef has created this Cajun spiced Calamari that is served with a delicious Lime Basil Mayonnaise. Added healthy fats courtesy of the Cocavo Turmeric & Lemon Zest Oil
” Derek the Chef – Heroes the humble Calamari “
Louisiana Cajun-spiced Calamari with Basil & Lime Mayonnaise
- 500g Squid tube cut into rounds.
- ¼ Cup Plain Flour
- ¼ Cup Cornflour
- 1 x Tsp Cumin
- 1 x Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 x Tsp Curry powder
- ½ Tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- Freshly Ground Black pepper for seasoning
- Cocavo Turmeric and Lemon Zest Coconut and Avocado Oil
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Chopped Parsley
- 1 x Tsp crushed Garlic
- Lemon juice
- Milk or lemon Juice to Marinade
- Clean and cut the Squid then place into Milk overnight or lemon juice for 30 minutes prior to cooking, (This tenderises it)
- Combine the flour, cornflour and spice mix then place in the Calamari Rings and toss to coat well.
- Heat a heavy based fry pan or wok until hot, then add in the Cocavo Oil until it smokes.
- Add garlic until it just colours, then add the Calamari.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes over high heat but not for too long as this is what makes it go tough.
- Remove drizzle reserved Pan juices over the top, and sprinkle chopped parsley
For the Basil and Lime Mayonnaise
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup mild flavoured olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Blend together a Kitchen blender or a stick blender and adjust seasoning to taste.
Alternatively use a readymade Mayonnaise, add lime juice and chopped Basil
Serve with Lemon or Lime Wedges & the Basil/Lime Mayonnaise on the side